The company logo
August Thyssen-Hütte AG, the company name which was re-elected in 1953 in memory of the company founder, introduced a new logo in April 1967. It is based on images generally centred around a circle, polygon and letter combinations which had been common since the 1920s. A "light T" inspired by the initial letter of the name Thyssen enables the combining of the traditional logos pertaining to the companies that have since been acquired Thus, it complied with the wish to externally document being part of the Group at a time when most subsidiaries still did not have the word Thyssen in their company names. The logo was, therefore, the first step in expressing the individual companies’ affiliation with the Thyssen Group.
Unified company logo
When August Thyssen-Hütte AG acquired the majority of shares in Rheinstahl AG in 1973, it seemed obvious for the new company to also use the Thyssen logo. However, over the course of two years of discussions, the Board of August Thyssen-Hütte AG became convinced of the modernity and symbolism of the Rheinstahl arc and, on 12th January 1976, decided to “introduce the Thyssen arc as a uniform logo for all domestic and international companies from the Thyssen Group. It was intended to symbolise the ‘arc over all Thyssen activities’”. In March 1976, the new logo appeared on the front page of the company magazine, “our ATH” for the first time.
Though the yellow lettering of “Rheinstahl” was replaced by the blue lettering of “Thyssen”, the arc was maintained as the binding element of a changed, larger Group. This is how the two company identities merged into one in 1976. Founded in 1871, the Rheinische Stahlwerke did not have a trademark of its own until the introduction of the Rheinstahl arc in 1958.
Logo and lettering
At the beginning of the 1950s, the desire for a separate company logo emerged when the annual report for the years 1948 to 1953 was being printed. Rheinstahl decided on the design developed by the commercial artist, Schierning from Hamburg, who based his designs on the idiosyncratic shape of the Rheinstahl pavilion at the industrial trade fair in Hannover. With loving attention to detail, the combined logo and lettering was developed on this basis, featuring arcs which cannot be determined using a simple mathematical formula. Essen’s city colours of blue and yellow were selected as the colours for the logo. The yellow Rheinstahl lettering on the blue arc paid tribute to the company’s headquarters.
The Three Rings
Since 1875, the three rings have been the mark of the Krupp company’s products worldwide, simultaneously recalling Alfred Krupp's invention of the seamlessly forged and rolled railway wheel tire patented in 1853 in Prussia.
Before 1875, Alfred Krupp first made his steel products using so-called steel brands to allow for quality distinctions and embossing stamps such as “Krupp zu Essen” (1839), “Fr. Krupp bei Essen” (1840) or “Fr. Krupp bei Essen in Preußen" (1841). In the years that followed, the inscription became “Fr. Krupp” or simply “Krupp”. The Imperial Act Decree regarding brand protection from 30th November 1874 is what first inspired Alfred Krupp to develop his own company logo. From the drafts submitted, he selected the Three Ring logo. It depicts three double rings, arranged on top of each other in a pyramid (not intertwined!), which symbolise the wheel tires from railway wheels.
This Three Ring Emblem was registered for the first time as a trademark for the Fried company on 9th December 1875 at the imperial district court in Essen. Krupp, “for steel and iron and steel and iron products”. With the exclusion of Germany, the Three Ring Emblem remained protected in 56 foreign states prior to the First World War. In 1994, the original open form of the protection ended. Until the merger with Thyssen AG, the more modern version with the rings filled in black was used, which had already been registered as a trademark number on 9th October 1934.